Black Mountain Elementary's Aboriginal Student Advocate is Ms. B. Haldane
She works three days a week at BME - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Aboriginal Student Advocates provide emotional, social, academic and cultural support to students. They work closely with families, teachers and other personnel to provide service for students.
Children who have Aboriginal ancestry are elibgible to receive services through the Aboriginal Eudcation Program in School District No 23. Aboriginal Student Advocates, and Certificed Teachers assist students to help them succeed in school.
Aboriginal Student Advocates are the vital link between aboriginal students and the school system. Because they provide the unique perspective of a shared cultural heritage, they serve as a communication network among students, their famileis, and the other school personnel. The importance of this perspective has been endorsed by the Human Rights Commission by approving preferential hiring of qualified people with aboriginal heritage.
Advocates form the important relationships with aboriginal students that help them to be successful in the school system.
Services that our staff provides are as follows:
- becoming acquaiinted with all students with aboriginal ancestry and meeting with them periodically throughout the year to maintain relationship
- problem solving clothing, transportation, helath, housing and other issues
- providing emotional support and counsel
- reading and writing in-class support
- encouraging goal-setting (academic and behavioural)
- cultural programs at lunch
- cultural presenations in the class and the school
- Gr. 2 and 3 Primary Winter Gathering field trip
- math assistane
- school-home connection
- homework clubs
- being a liasion with parents
Each fall, those students who who have Aboriginal ancestry, will be reminded of the services provided to your children, and parents may choose to have only cultural or academic support (or both).
Our aim is to see every Aboriginal sutdent who enters Kindergarten graduate and have a successful, positive school experience.